Followers

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Alive and Well in Kathmandu!

Steve's Blog - Monday, February 21st, 8:46 am.

Finally made it here after 32 hours of flight and layover! Arrived at 3:00 pm this afternoon and went to the Pantan Rotary Club. They have 42 members- all of whom are Paul Harris recipients. They have 35 clubs in Kathmandu and73 total in Nepal. They also have a Weekend Back Pack which is similar to ours and they also have Happy Bucks  I guess we are not that different after all!

I presented the Club President with our Club Flag. I also presented the club with a box of Girl Scout Cookies that were provided by Carly Johnson (Dan's daughter), because we wanted to give them something from our part of the world.   They were very surprised and pleased to receive the cookies.  The club auctioned off the Girl Scout cookies and raised $10.00!  I have photographs of the presentation and will share it with the club during my presentation in March. I am off now to another  Rotary Meeting with the club that we are assisting in the Disability Awareness Program, which I will be visiting Wednesday. I am hoping tomorrow that I will get a chance to explore the area. The city, based on the ride from the airport, is really in pretty rough shape.
More to come tomorrow! 

Steve Swank is member of the Rotary Club of Des Moines and is on a Rotary sponsored trip to the country of Nepal to view the projects that the club is supporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rotary Club of Des Moines, Washington